Monday, May 9, 2011

Coping Bucket

I had the privilege to hear a friend talk about her struggle with an eating disorder.  She's in recovery and is doing so well.  I loved looking at the art therapy she made.  I love art and so I though that I could incorporate art on my own.  So today I created a "coping bucket." 


I bought this bucket a while ago for $1.  I had some old scrapbooking paper laying around and thought that I could come up with something "artsy."  This is what I came up with.  I just tore the paper and crumpled it up.  Then I Modge Podged it onto the bucket.  I found some cute stickers that coordinated with the paper and stuck those on.  Then I wrote some words that remind me of my journey: recovery, freedom, laugh, fun, gentle, let go, faith, endure, strength, relief, God, choices, eating plan

I made slips of paper that have different things to do on them so that when I want to binge or overeat I can pull a slip out complete that activity.  It's a way of getting my mind off of stress and the "need" to eat.  
Here's some ideas: journal, listen to music, play an instrument, draw or paint a picture, go for a drive, take a walk, meditate, read, organize a room or closet, pack some clothes up for charity, take a nap, go to the park, blog, serve someone, work on my affirmation book, work on my hope book.

I know that continuing this art therapy will be good for me.  I can't wait to share what other things I'll make!
 

1 comment:

  1. How is it working? I love the idea, but I don't know if I'd really grab a slip of paper over the cookie. I SOOOO need to. I am really nervous about looking the "baby weight" this time around. More stress and responsibility is never a good thing for me. Food is my coping mechanism.

    ReplyDelete